Are all charter school supporters really doing it because they care about educating all kids? Probably not. The show starts with a brief overview of the tax benefits that come with supporting charter schools.
Notes on Episode 11:
- Kentucky Department of Education charter school regulations
- Florida charter schools: big money, little oversight (Miami Herald)
- Why hedge funds love charter schools (Alan Singer)
- Why participating in hardcore/punk made me a better teacher
Dr. Robert Pennington:
- U of L faculty page
- Paper on “five non-negotiables” which I accidentally mischaracterized on the show. The five non-negotiables (or five essential features) are safe and respectful environment, instructional focus on communicative competence, instruction across a broad and age-appropriate curriculum, intensive delivery of explicit and systematic instruction, and ongoing evaluation of practice.
- Google Scholar profile
- Courier Journal story about Binet School student with broken legs
- Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting update on Gynnya McMillen
- Louisville Hardcore page